
Gioacchino Assereto, Christ Healing a Blind Man
Even in his miracles Jesus falls short of both pagan and Hebrew models of heroism. His wonders are mostly "little" ones -- healings and exorcisms, nothing like spectacular physical feats of killing monsters or parting seas. If the Gospels were fictions, wouldn't they have given us something on a more epic scale than curing sick people? Imagine Hercules healing lepers! Any mythmaker would have outdone the evangelists in mere scale; but Jesus' miracles are of a piece with his teachings about showing mercy to everyone, however humble. And instead of glorying in his deeds, he tells their subjects, "Your own faith has cured you," charging them to tell nobody.
-Joe Sobran
My father in law had this picture and quote on his blog, and I found it so beautiful, that I had to post it as well.



1 comment:
Hey Kath! Thanks for the great info... might have to try the poop toy thing. I love that you said miss sassy pants.. that is tooo cute!! Guess you could say my lil boston is a Mr. sassy pants!! Anyway your so sweet and I know you are such a wonderful Mommy!!
Post a Comment